12/14/08

Mega_Mod: Back Up Camera 1 & 2

After I lost my back up camera on the Excursion I really started missing this feature. I tried to install the 7" screen from the Excursion but I could not find a place for it. So I moved away from the Laptop setup from the Excursion and I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 5000 large screen GPS.



I decided for the Garmin 5000 because I like the features of Garmin GPS systems and this unit has a Video In.

So here is my set up:

As you can see I use the Garmin as a video display. It turns on automatically whenever video starts streaming (i.e. when I reverse). From there I connect to a video splitter/switch. This allows you to typically switch between three video sources to display on a TV. I tested the unit and it allows also to switch power at the same time the video is switched. So I really use it to switch power and video at the same time from the Camper Cam to the Truck Can or visa versa. It allows you to connect to a third video source as well. This is currently not used as I don't want to stream movies while driving. But maybe one day this is set up for the co-driver.

From there backwards I have a regular on/off switch which gets power from a toggle switch. The toggle gets either permanent power or power from the Reverse Light circuit.

No comments: